The delay came after three Jones-linked companies, including fringe media organization Infowars, filed for bankruptcy protection earlier in the week – a move that may temporarily suspend civil lawsuits against the companies.

Jones, who is also being sued by the families of victims in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, was found legally responsible in October for false statements he made about the tragedy that claimed the lives of 26 people. The judge in the case, Travis County District Court Judge Maya Guerra Gamble, entered default judgments against Jones because he refused to comply with court orders.

Jones made an unsubstantiated claim following the Sandy Hook shooting that the incident was staged. Facing lawsuits, Jones has since admitted the shooting took place. He said in a 2019 sworn deposition that a “form of psychosis” caused him to make his false comments.

A representative for Jones did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

But Mark Bankston, the attorney representing the parents of two Sandy Hook children in the Texas lawsuit, accused Jones of carrying out a “perverse scheme to defraud the parents of Sandy Hook”.

Bankston said that although Jones succeeded in delaying the trial by seeking bankruptcy protection for companies affiliated with him, the “dishonest conspiracy will have serious consequences for both Mr. Jones and the flattering lawyers who agreed this fraud”.

“Each time Mr. Jones has tried to sabotage this trial through a bribery stunt, it has ended up with him further down the hole and facing my clients even more money in legal penalties,” Bankston added. “This latest stunt will be no different.”